According to the 2012 Blue Drop report, released by Water Affairs Minister Edna Molewa on Monday, the warning remains in place until the management of the affected municipalities communicated otherwise.
“Residents and visitors are hereby warned not to consume the tap water supplied in these towns without some form of acceptable disinfecting treatment at home [boiling or the addition of bleach],” the report states.
The municipalities include:
– Ikwezi Local Municipality in the Eastern Cape, including Jansenville, Klipplaat, Waterford and Wolwefontein;
– Koukamma Local Municipality in the Eastern Cape, including Clarkson, Coldstream, Joubertina, Kareedouw, Krakeel, Sanddrif, Stormsrivier and Woodlands;
– Letsemeng Local Municipality in the Free State, including Koffiefontein, Petrusberg, Jacobsdal and Luckhoff;
– Ngwathe Local Municipality in the Free State, including Vredefort, Koppies and Heilbron;
– Nketoane Local Municipality in the Free State, including Reitz, Petrus Steyn, Lindley and Arlington;
– Phumelela Local Municipality in the Free State, including Memel, Vrede and Warden.
– Thabazimbi Local Municipality in Limpopo, including Northam, Rooiberg and Schilpadnest;
– Bushbuckridge Local Municipality in Mpumalanga, including Zoeknog, Hoxani, Sand River, Edenburg A & B, Dingleydale, Sigagule, Cork, Marite and Thorndale;
– Chief Albert Luthuli Local Municipality in Mpumalanga, including Mpuluzi, Lushushwane/Bettygoed, Elukwatini, Metula, Fernie and Ekulindeni;
– Mkhondo Local Municipality in Mpumalanga, including Piet Retief, Amsterdam, Driefontein/Dirkiesdorp and Mkhondo Rural Scheme;
– Msukaligwa Local Municipality in Mpumalanga, including South Works, Douglas, Davel, Breyton and Lothair;
– Nkomazi Local Municipality in Mpumalanga, including Driekoppies, Fig Tree, Hectorspruit, Komatipoort, Langeloop, Louieville, Madadeni, Magudu, Malelane, Marloth Park, Mbuzini and Nyathi;
– Ngaka Modiri Molema District Municipality in North West, including Tswaing/DeLarey, Tswaing/Sannieshof, Dinokana/Lehurutse, Kraaipan, Madibogopan, Motswedi/Gopane and Setlagole; and,
– Umsobomvu Local Municipality in the Northern Cape, including Colesberg, Norvalspont and Noupoort.
The report further noted the department was concerned about water supplied to residents of the Kannaland Local Municipality in the Western Cape. While not issuing a tap water drinking warning, it says drinking water quality management “is not taking place according to regulatory expectations”.
The municipality includes Calitzdorp, Ladismith, Van Wyksdorp and Zoar.
In the Northern Cape, the report also notes that the ability of the Renosterberg, Siyancuma and Mier local municipalities to supply safe water continuously was “of great concern”.
Respectively, these municipalities serve the communities of: Vanderkloof, Philipstown, Douglas, Griekwastad, Schmidtsdrift, Campbell, Swartkopdam, Rietfontein, Philandersbron, Askham, Loubos, Mier Boorgate, Noenieput, Andriesvale and Welkom.
Water Rhapsody is a company that specialises in water conservation systems, rainwater harvesting, grey water systems, pool backwash systems, toilet flushing systems and well as backup water supplies. Installing our systems could save you up to 90% of your water bill. Saving you money as well as water. We are suppliers of the JoJo water tanks as well as the galvanised water tanks.